Sunday, April 18, 2010

Indoor Flowers 101



Not that I'm any expert, in FACT, I'm the one who always killed houseplants. I always told my family "don't give me live plants, I hate to water and they die". Well, I've found one plant that is great indoors, geraniums! I just dig up my outdoor geraniums in the fall (instead of letting the frost kill them). Plant them in pots with store bought potting soil and bring inside! Voile ! As long as they are in a sunny spot, they will bloom all winter. I even have one pink one from 2 years ago that is still going strong. Yes, I DO have a sunny room and that must be the key, but I think any reasonably sunny location will do. Last summer, 2009, I made sure to plant red and white geraniums outside so that when I brought them in, they would bloom by Christmas and not clash with the Christmas tree and trimmings. The year before I brought in all pink geraniums and they looked a little funny in December. I also recommend African Violets, they seem to be pretty kill-proof and sure look great when in bloom. Spring has sprung and my outdoors looks great, but my indoors has been blooming all winter long!

No comments: