Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Melissophobia !!!!

It's TRUE. Melissophobia is a real fear and NO it's not the fear of Melissa Sonksen ! It's the fear of bees. I read this on www.phobialist.com. I'm not even sure why I was checking for phobias (maybe to see if I have any) but there was a note in my planner to check so that's what I'm doing. Now I can understand having Dentophobia (fear of dentists) and especially Odontophobia (who likes getting dental surgery...sorry Brigham and Dan) those are phobias that are shared by many I'm sure. I found that the phobia list has 530 medically identified phobias...and there's probably more. So I decided to see If I was suffering from any other undiagnosed phobias on the list. I knew I didn't have Lutraphobia (fear of otters) or Clinophobia (fear of going to bed) and not even Myxophobia (the fear of slime)...so what was it? Oh Yes, I used to have Pteromerhanophobia which is the fear of flying (not to be confused with Pteronophobia which is the fear of being tickled with feathers)! Some of my other favorites include Sinistrophobia (fear of things on the left or left handed), Cacophobia (fear of ugliness), Ephebiphobia (fear of teenagers), let's hope none of us get Ecclesiophobia (the fear of church!), and here's one I can't understand...Hippophobia...you'd think it was the fear of hippos but it's the fear of horses! Why would anyone have Mycophobia (the fear of mushrooms) my sister-in-law Karen hates them because they squeak when you eat them eew! But I love them! My daughter Kimberly had Cynophobia as a kid (fear of dogs..maybe she still has it but she's covering it) but for sure she didn't have Porphyrophobia (fear of the color purple) Purple was her favorite color! Stephanie had Agoraphobia (fear of crowds) as a kid. She hated going shopping at City Center Mall, just too many people! She also had that little elevator problem (I had it too, we HATE elevators still but we like the glass ones!) but I can't find the name for it. The longest phobia name has to be Paraskavedekatriaphobia which is the fear of Friday the 13th! In our family that's a great day since my parents met on a Friday the 13th! And one phobia that nobody should have is Arachibutyrophobia not to be confused with Arachnaphobia (fear of spiders) it means....fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth!

1 comment:

Margo said...

Melissa, that is hilarious. I am still laughing over all the phobias. I think we should try to come up with one not on the list. love ya.